Back to Enrichment
Sports-based Games Club
Every Monday and Tuesday lunchtime, Morecambe Football Club members lead action-packed workshops forchildren in all year groups, including Early Years. In this way, we aim to encourage our pupils to keep active, have fun and participate. They tailor their activities to suit the children they are working with and what they enjoy the most; these include:
Every Wednesday lunch-time, Darren (a former Premier League footballer) and Scott from the NLDDC, (the North Lancashire District Development Centre) run two 30 minute sessions for pupils in KS1 and KS2. There is an extremely high uptake of these sessions and the pupils appreciate the chance to receive expert training whilst having lots of fun.
During the spring term, our very own Early Years teacher and Sports Co-ordinator, Mrs. Muckalt, runs a cheerleading club during school hours, which is open to all pupils. The children learn basic cheerleading moves and develop a routine which is performed at Sports Day each year.
During the summer term, our pupils have the opportunity to attend our rounders club and, therein, to work towards
competing in an exciting annual rounder tournament.
Tag Rugby Club, Cross-Country and Cricket Clubs
Open to KS2 pupils, these clubs are run by Mr. Bonwick at various points in the school year. These sessions feed into competitions against local schools for each of the three disciplines.
The plethora of sporting activities on offer, in addition to the Games offered as part of our curriculum each week, means that each pupil will have represented the school in a sporting event by the end of their time with us at the end of Year 6.
Arkholme pupils enter sporting competitions in the following areas:
• Lune Valley Schools Cluster: rounders, tag rugby, football and KS1 multi-skills.
• Carnforth Schools Cluster: handball, indoor athletics, cross country, KS1 multi-skills, amongst other sporting disciplines.
• School Sport Network: football, tag rugby, sports hall athletics, cross-country, cricket, multi-skills, amongst other sporting disciplines.
• County: Arkholme pupils have reached sportshall athletics finals at county level in previous years and continue to strive to compete at this level.
• NLDDC: football tournaments against other North Lancashire district schools.
• Local Football League: our junior team is comprised of Year 2, 3 and 4 pupils and our senior team of those in Years 5 and 6. The past two seasons have seen the Arkholme School senior team crowned league champions!
• Rural Schools Swimming Gala: an annual event where Arkholme pupils regularly win the small schools trophy.
• Lancaster and Morecambe Cross-Country: taking place at Lancaster University, our pupils train and compete for the small schools trophy, which we have won in past years.
Arkholme Mile Record
As part of our 150 year celebrations in 2016-17, our KS2 pupils are practising running one mile as part of the sporting involvement in the school. These runs will be timed and the fastest runners from Year 5 and Year 6 will be rewarded and the times recorded; each year in the future, pupils will strive to beat the previous year’s record.